THE GIBSON TRUST GRANT APPLICATION AND CONDITIONS:
The trustees of The Gibson Trust invest William Gibson’s legacy to yield an annual income that is available for distribution as grants to individual, small farmers in County Antrim and County Down. These grants vary with Trust income and the amount required to cover outstanding offers. The following conditions are provided to assist potential applicants.
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A GRANT, AN APPLICANT MUST …
• Actively farm at least 12 hectares of land owned by the family for more than 25 years.
• Have a farm business of between 1,000 and 6,500 standard man hours.
• Earn most of his/her income from that farm business.
• Not have had a grant from the Trust within the past 10 years.
IMPROVEMENTS THAT THE TRUSTEES MAY ACCEPT:
• Production and welfare improvements – new stock houses, silos, storage sheds.
• Environmental improvements.
• Innovative enterprises – for example, to add value to farm produce.
THE TRUSTEES WILL REJECT APPLICATIONS FOR:
• Dwellings, yards, roads or lanes, repairs, fencing, land reclamation, crop cultivation, purchase of field machinery, stock or quotas.
• Proposals considered to be incompatible with the charitable status of the Trust.
• Improvements eligible for a grant from another source.
An applicant must ensure that his/her proposed development complies with good practice, especially with current legislation on safety, health, animal welfare and pollution. The Trust Application form should be completed with ALL questions answered, including:
• Full address – including postcode, landline and mobile numbers, map grid reference.
• Farm business – area farmed, area of crops, area cut for silage, number of livestock.
• Estimate of cost – normally based on a written quotation from a building contractor.
• Any other income – e.g. Social Security, any employment off the farm.
THE TRUSTEES HAVE ABSOLUTE DISCRETION AND THEIR DECISION IS FINAL.
You can download the Trust Application conditions (above) from here:
Please send your application to the following address:
Mr. Hugh Ferguson,
The Gibson Trust,
59 Ballyrogan Road,
Telephone: 07879 822065
SOME PERSONAL COMMENTS:
I wish to express my thanks to you on the way everything was dealt with and with the help of The Gibson Trust I now have a lovely dry house to store medicines and farm items in.”
“Much appreciated to you Hugh.”
Charles T., Katesbridge.
“Thank you for the grant.” “As a young farmer only farming a few years, all financial help is much appreciated.”
Robert M., Newry.
“We gratefully appreciate the support of The Gibson Trust to our farm business.”
“…a word of sincere thanks to the Gibson Trust team for the money I received to help me with my new shed.” … “A special thanks to Mr. Ferguson for his prompt response in coming out both times to the farm.” “Many thanks.”
Jamie P., Kilkeel.